Tuesday, January 28, 2014
|The first stop up the road|
|The view out my window|
|Look who came along! And look how far down....|
|Off to the edge of the precipice - there's a huge gulf between the foreground and the background|
|Isn't it amazing? Looks like a movie set. That's the road along the top of the near mountain - you can see the dust from a car at the left edge|
Monday, December 30, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
|"Magdalene" by Da Vinci|
C.S. Lewis on Mary Magdalene:
"The allegorical sense of her great action dawned on me the other day. The precious alabaster box which one must break over the Holy Feet is one's heart. Easier said than done. And the contents become perfume only when it is broken. While they are safe inside they are more like sewage. All very alarming."
(Letters to an American Lady)
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
"At issue here is the question: 'To whom do I belong? To God or to the world?' Many of my daily preoccupations suggest that I belong more to the world than to God. A little criticism makes me angry, and a little rejection makes me depressed. A little praise raises my spirits, and a little success excites me. It takes very little to raise me up or thrust me down.
Often I am like a small boat on the ocean, completely at the mercy of its waves. All the time and energy I spend in keeping some kind of balance and preventing myself from being tipped over and drowning shows that my life is mostly a struggle for survival: not a holy struggle, but an anxious struggle resulting from the mistaken idea that it is the world that defines me...."
The Return of the Prodigal Son
Saturday, June 1, 2013
Our wild, sweet boy is four! He had a marvelous birthday week full of fun surprises like petting zoos and favorite dinner (he requested steak, homemade fries, corn on the cob, watermelon, and ice cream -- he must be growing!) and tractor rides and balloons.
This little guy is all about the farm equipment...
and chocolate cake...
and fishing with Daddy (and catching a 17-inch bass on his little Iron-Man fishing pole that nearly cracked!).
Happy birthday, little man. May you always keep your soft, loving heart and your zest for life! We love you so very, very much. XXOO
Monday, May 13, 2013
- Happy Day After Mother's Day to all mamas out there! The next time you feel discouraged in your motherhood, check this out (after you grab a box of Kleenex).
- Our Blue dog had to have emergency surgery two weeks ago, then ripped open his stitches and had to go back under to have them redone. For two more weeks, he gets to wear this:
- I'm reading Middlemarch for book club. I had not read it since Brit Lit with Dr. Fabisch fifteen years ago. I remembered how long it was but I had forgotten how insightful she is compared to, say, Austen. Good stuff.
- Does anyone else notice how churches preach Mother's Day sermons that focus on how much we need to appreciate our mothers, but then Father's Day rolls around and it's a lot of finger-wagging at delinquent dads? Why is that? My mother-in-law was telling me how her pastor went so far yesterday as to reprimand fathers for not praising their wives publicly, as the husband does in Proverbs 31. Interesting. Are we assuming there are far more delinquent dads out there than moms? Or are they just an easier target today? Hmm.
- Today is our eighth wedding anniversary, and I have to say, I love being married to my guy. 'Twas the best decision I ever made in my life.